There are three main reasons for holding this contest:
1: To provide a means for people who love Great East Lake to share their best pictures of the lake and show why they love it.
2: To provide a fund raising opportunity for GELIA. This would be via sales of calendars containing the best 12 to 18 pictures submitted to this contest. The calendar would be sold at the annual meeting.
3. To build a historical archive of pictures of Great East Lake.
Photos submitted should fit one of the following categories:
Animals (all non-human types)
Sun or Moon rise and set
Historical (more than 25 years ago)
Event (annual meeting, sailboat race, swimming race etc)
Four seasons [Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter (including skating, snowmobiling and ice fishing etc)]
Water Sports (boating, fishing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, swimming)
The SPECIAL category (announced at each annual meeting)
1) You must be the photographer who actually took the submitted pictures
2) 5 submissions per person (no more than two pictures in any category)
3) Photo must not have been submitted previously
4) Must be photographed at GEL (within 100 yards) or show a part of the lake.
5) Sizes: Digital, 8”x10” print, 35mm slide (only slides will be returned )
6) No digitally altered reality (cropping, and contrast/brightness adjustments are OK)
Submissions must be made between January 1st and March 31st using the official form.
Judging will be done by a panel of 3-5 judges selected by the GELIA board, and will be done without photographer names associated with the picture to avoid any favoritism. Judges and their families will not be allowed to submit pictures.
Pictures will be rated on a scale of 1 to 5 for each criterion (Composition, Lighting, Sharpness, Creativity) for a score of 5 to 20 points. Pictures will be selected based on which have the highest score. Ties will be broken by a second round of voting.
Plaque and free calendar for the top 3 pictures, Certificates for honorable mentions.
You must grant GELIA the right to reproduce your submitted pictures, by signing the release on the entry form. Also, if the photo contains pictures of people, any recognizable person in the picture (or their parent/guardian if under 18) must also sign the release.
Photographer credit will be given in a caption/title below the picture on the finished calendar.